Cardiovascular disease programme
Supporting the health and care system in the prevention and management of cardiovascular disease
Supporting the health and care system with the prevention and management of cardiovascular disease
Focusing on hypertension and cholesterol
Supporting the NHS Long Term Plan
Detailed Programme Information
The NHS Long Term Plan states that the biggest area where the NHS can save lives over the next 10 years is in reducing the incidence of cardiovascular disease (CVD).
CVD causes one death every three minutes in the UK, with those in the most deprived areas four times more likely to die. For the first time in 50 years, deaths from premature cardiovascular disease are on the rise.
The global burden of disease study identified high blood pressure and high cholesterol as leading risk factors that drive mortality and morbidity from CVD. These risk factors are high impact but also highly modifiable.
We are delivering the following programmes to support the health and care system with the prevention and management of cardiovascular disease – focusing on hypertension and cholesterol.
These programmes are:
- Lipid Management and Familial Hypercholesterolaemia (FH) – Improving the identification and treatment offered for those with Familial Hypercholesterolaemia (high cholesterol that runs in families).
- Blood Pressure Optimisation – aiming to prevent heart attacks, strokes, and vascular dementia in patients with hypertension.
Workshop Series: Working collaboratively to reduce Cardiovascular Disease
We are delighted to host a series of workshops aimed at reducing cardiovascular disease (CVD) throughout autumn and the spring. These 1.5-hour workshops will provide a comprehensive overview and live demonstration of available frameworks/guidance, tools, resources and training opportunities for GP practices, community pharmacies, PCNs and secondary care. The focus will be on:
- The Lipid pathway: Patient search and stratification tools – 20 October
- Blood pressure optimisation: Patient search and stratification tools – 4 November
- Lipid pathway and BPO – Workforce models to manage patient cohorts – 29 November
- Familial Hypercholesterolaemia (FH) – Detection and patient management – TBC
- Lipid optimisation and novel therapies – TBC
Please visit our events listing pages to find out more.
Get in touch
For more information on our Cardiovascular Disease Programme, please contact:
- Blood Pressure Optimisation: Marie-Joëlle West, Programme Manager.
- Lipid Pathways and FH: Harriet Matthews, Programme Manager.